《新世纪大学英语--泛读》第一级
   >> Band 2 >> Unit 9  >> Lesson 26  >> Notes to the Language Points
第一单元 第二单元 第三单元 第四单元 第五单元 第六单元 第七单元 第八单元 第九单元 第十单元
Notes to the Language Points

1. Not long ago a male friend of mine appeared on the scene fresh from a recent divorce. 不久前,我的一位男士朋友刚刚离婚。
     on the scene: 登场;出现;在场 例:
     When their first child came on the scene, they had to change their way of life completely. 他们在第一个孩子来到人间后,就不得不完全改变自己的生活方式。
2. if need be: 如果需要的话 例:
     If need be, I can do extra work at the weekend. 如果需要的话,我可以周末加班。
3.I want a wife to keep track of the children’s doctor and dentist appointments. 我需要有个妻子与孩子们的医生或牙医保持联系。
     keep track of:保持对…的联系;掌握…的线索;了解…的动态 例:
     He reads the newspapers to keep track of current events. 他阅读报纸以掌握时事动态。
4. …who will see to it that my personal things are kept in their proper place so that I can find what I need the minute I need it. …她将负责照管我的东西把它们放在适当的地方,以便让我在需要的时候立刻找到。
     see to sth: 注意;照看;着手办理 例:
     Will you see to it that this letter gets posted today? 请你确保今天把这封信寄出去,好吗?
     Will you see to the arrangements for the next meeting of the committee? 请你负责安排委员会的下一次会议,好吗?
5. I want a wife who will care for me when I am sick and sympathize with my pain and loss of time from school. 我想娶个妻子,当我生病的时候她将照料我,为我耽搁学习时间而深感同情。
     sympathize with: 同情(某人);赞同(某事) 例:
     I sympathize with her, but I don’t know what I can do to help. 我同情她;但不知能做什么帮帮她。
     I find it difficult to sympathize with his opinions. 我发现很难赞同他的意见。
6. change of scene: 换个环境
7. But I want a wife who will listen to me when I feel the need to explain a rather difficult point I have come across in my course of studies. 我想娶个妻子,当我在功课中遇到难题感到有必要解释一下的时候她能听我诉说。
     come across: 偶然发现或遇见 例:
     I came across this book in a secondhand shop. 我在二手书店偶然发现 了这本书。
8. …who makes sure that they have an ashtray, that they are passed the hors d’ oeuvres, that they are offered a second helping of the food, that their wine glasses are replenished when necessary, that their coffee is served to them as they like it. ...她确保他们有烟灰缸用,盘里的菜吃完了给他们添,递给他们餐前小吃,需要的时候把他们的葡萄酒杯倒满,他们想要咖啡时给他们提供咖啡。
     makes sure 后面的五个that从句都是它的并列宾语。
9. I want a wife who assumes the complete responsibility for birth control… 我想娶个老婆,她对节育的事负全部责任。
     assume: 承担;担当 例:
     The chairman will assume his new responsibilities next month. 主席下个月就职。
10. I want a wife who understands that my sexual needs may entail more than strict adherence to monogamy. I must, after all, be able to relate to people as fully as possible. 我想娶个妻子,她能理解我的性需要也许没必要严格受制于一夫一妻制,不管怎样说,我必须能够尽可能多地与别人保持关系。
     1) entail: 使必要;使负担 例:
     That will entail an early start tomorrow morning. 那样的话, 明天早上就得早一点开始。
     2) adherence: 坚持
     3)monogamy: 一夫一妻制
11. When I am through with school and have a job, I want my wife to quit working and remain at home so that my wife can more fully and completely take care of a wife’s duties.
     1)be through (with): 结束;做好;完成 例:
     Are you through with that newspaper? 你看完那份报纸了吗?
      eith and I are through. 凯茜和我已完了(即分手了)。
     2)quit: 离开;停止 例:
     If I don’t get a pay rise I’ll quit. 如果不加薪,我就不干了。
     He decided to quit school at 16. 他十六岁时决定辍学。

 

Home | Top